Sunday, January 29

Friend Who Recommended 'AMLP' Rebuked, Relapses

CHICAGO (AP) -- When Chris T. battled his addictions he found solace and inspiration in James Frey's "A Million Little Pieces", the now-discredited book about drug addiction and recovery.

"A year ago, I had my demons and 'Pieces' really helped me get through a tough time in my life," said T. "This was way before that Oprah bitch got her grubby paws on [the book]. And because it was so powerful I recommended it to my close friends, boy, do I feel stupid now."

One of those people who T. recommended AMLP to was Luke Penca, his roommate.

"I felt that I had to read it because T. was so profoundly affected by it and he's a good friend," said Penca. "But the truth is, I couldn't get past Frey's unique grammar; it was too distracting. Nevertheless, I told T. that I finished it and what's worse is that I recommended 'AMLP' to my friends, in turn."

Now Penca is angry because he feels misled in light of TheSmokingGun.com investigation which illustrated key fabrications of the book and Oprah's public admonishment of the author for his lies.

"There was betrayal everywhere and I took my anger out on T. In retrospect, that was probably a bad idea."

Indeed it was as the turn of events has exacted a heavy toll on T. leading to his relapse.

"There's no more whiskey in the house and even the bottles of vodka in the freezer are gone," said a frustrated Penca. "I guess it's only a matter of time until he's [vomiting] out the passenger window of my car again."

# # #


Technorati: , , , , ,

No comments: